Grades are determined based on the scores of the mid-term and final examinations, class participation and assignments.
- (1)The Breakdown of the Grade per Language Skill
영역별 비율 Listening Speaking Reading Writing Total 20% 30% 20% 30% 100%
학점 A B C F FA 90~100 80~89 70~79 Failure Failure on Attendance
- (3)If student is found to have cheated on an exam, that subject will be scored as 0 point.
- (4)The qualification for the placement test is as follows:
- ①New students
- ②Current students who received a mark of FA (Except for students who received F or FA consecutively for 2 sessions)
- ③Previous students in a regular program who came after at least a one-session break.
※FA (failure on attendance) applies to students whose average grade is 70 points or above and attendance rate is below 80% but 70% or above. In such cases, students may move on to the next level through the placement test. Students who receive an F (failure) must re-register for the same level without fail (please see the Regulations on Failure and Re-registration).
- (1)Classes begin at the appointed time. Tardiness and absences are strictly monitored. Being tardy six times or four hours of absence each results in one day of absence.
- (2)For completion, overall absences, including tardiness and hourly absences, should not exceed 10 days.
- (3)Special Cases acknowledged as attendance
- (i)The following cases are acknowledged as attendance if a student submits appropriate evidential documents
- ①Leaving classes early due to regular religious services (a maximum of 10 hours are permitted)
- ②Having undergraduate or graduate classes at Seoul National University (a maximum of 1 subject [3 credits]; 30 hours are permitted. If you get more than 20 hours permitted, ①,③,④,⑤,⑥ cannot be acknowledged as attendance)
- ③Scholarship students who participate in official events hosted by Seoul National University or a governmental organization
- ④Attending family events related to the student and/or their immediate family (the student/parents, a maximum of 5 days; siblings/grandparents: a maximum of 3 days are permitted)
- ⑤A student who receives medical treatment or is hospitalized
- ⑥Natural disasters
- (ii)However, students who had special cases acknowledged as attendance cannot be awarded perfect attendance.
- (iii)Overall absences, including general absences and special cases acknowledged as attendance exceeding 15 days will be treated as a case of Failure with Attendance (FA).
3. Level Completion, Course Completion, and Honors
- (1)Students must attend at least 80% of the total class hours and receive an average score of at least 70% to complete a level.
- (2)Students who complete levels 1 to 5 are awarded a certificate of level completion for the corresponding level; those who complete level 6 are awarded a certificate of course completion.
- (3)Students who receive an average score of 90% or higher are given the award of excellence.
- (4)Students without a record of tardiness and absences are given the award of perfect attendance.
- (5)Students who are recognized for their contribution to the prestige of the Language Education Institute are presented with a special award.
4. Failure and Re-registration
- (1)Students whose average grade is below 70 points (failure (F)) or attendance rate is below 70% (failure (F)) may not complete the level in question and will only receive a report card.
- (2)Students who receive a failure (F) during the current session due to an average grade below 70 points or an attendance rate below 70% may not move on to the next level through the replacement test.
- (3)Students whose average grade is 70 points or above and attendance rate is 70% or above but below 80% (failure with attendance (FA)) may move on to the next level through the placement test. However, students may move on to the next level through the replacement test only once after having received a failure with attendance (FA).
- (4)Students who have received a failure (F) or a failure with attendance (FA) for two sessions in succession may not re-register for the following session. However, students who have received average grade below 70 points (failure (F)) for two sessions in succession may re-register once for the following session in the same level.
- (5)Students who have received a failure (F) or a failure with attendance (FA) for two sessions in succession (except students who have received average grade below 70 points (failure (F)) for two sessions in succession) may register after a respite of one or more sessions. (Changing your visa in Korea to transfer to another university is restrictively allowed.)
- (6)Students who are discovered to have registered for purposes other than the study of Korean or judged to impede class management may not re-register.
- Academic Honor Scholarship
- -Students in each level whose grades fall within the top 5% will receive a 200,000 KRW discount to use for their next term.
※Scholarships may not be transferred to another person.
6. Student ID Card
- ID cards are issued in the first two weeks of the session. Using the ID cards, students can use some facilities of the SNU Siheung Smart Campus.
7. Credit Transfer
- Credits cannot be transferred from the Language Educational Center to regular and credit-based SNU courses, but they may be transferred to most universities outside of Korea (students will need to contact their respective schools in advance for verification whether credits can be transferred from the KLEC to the corresponding university). One session at the KLEC is equivalent to a 6-credit unit course of a regular academic program. Upon request, the KLEC will issue an official transcript to any organization designated by the student.
- (1)According to the Administration Law of Immigration (Article 19.4), students, who are absent for more than 10 days without prior notice, will be reported to the Immigration Office, and their registration will be cancelled from that point on.
- (2)The KLEC may cancel the registration of students, who act inappropriately in a way that deteriorate the class environment and disturb other students, at any time.
- (3)Students whose attitudes and behavior interfere with classroom sessions will be expelled immediately after they have been warned by their respective instructors for the 2 times and will not be allowed to re-register at the Korean Language Education Center (KLEC) afterwards.
- (4)Students whose attendance rates are below 70% and students who do not come to class within the first week of the session will be expelled automatically, and their visas will be cancelled also.
※All students who apply and register for classes offered by the KLEC have an obligation to abide by these academic regulations. Students who do not abide by these academic regulations will be subjected to restrictions in accordance with the regulations.